Censorship

Duane Attaway dattaway at dattaway.org
Fri Mar 14 23:17:04 CST 2003

On Fri, 14 Mar 2003, Jennifer Dozar wrote:

> Most and probably all radio stations are controlled by the FCC.. If the
> FCC claims you have done something against the law, they can take you
> off the air. So, the private companies have pressure too. not just the
> djs. the FCC is the ones that make the rules, like no cussing on air and
> such. they probably control the news flow as well. *shrug*

This is why I love the internet.  Commercial broadcast stations are very
competitive and have made many unwise deals to stay alive.  From what I
remember, televisions stations bid pretty high for the airwave auctions
for digital television years back.

Most are in default with these promises.  Big trouble, especially when the
program directory encourages the limits of decency to maximize ratings.
Guess who is pulling the strings of the FCC, the government enforcement
body?  The internet is the great equalizer and encourages more complete
news coverage locally.

And the proliferation of linux and free webservers by the community at
large is the check and balances that we need in our government today.  (I
knew I could tie this on topic somehow!)

--
"It is the duty of a patriot to protect his country from its government"
-Thomas Paine