are there many open source consultants in the kc area

Gerald Combs gerald at ethereal.com
Fri Mar 14 03:07:48 CST 2003

On 13 Mar 2003, Rob Becker wrote:

> Is anyone out there making a living as an open source/linux consultant?
> If so, I'm interested in hearing about your experience supporting open
> source software.  Is there much interest in KC in open source?  Is there
> much familiarity (I'm guessing probably not, but I'd love to learn
> otherwise).  Any thoughts on the issue would be greatly appreciated.

I make my living as a consultant.  Much of what I do involves open
source software.  Most of the people I've worked with want software to
work, they want it fixed if it doesn't work, and they want it to fit in
their budget.  Open vs closed source isn't really a concern, as long as
it gets the job done.

People are willing to pay for support.  I'm under contract right now
to enhance Ethereal for a client.  I also in the process of setting
up support contracts for a couple of other clients.  I have a feeling
they'd also pay for training if we offered it.

The complete package matters.  A lot of OSS would "sell" better if it
were easier to configure and use.  For example, Nagios and MRTG are great
at what they do, but I've seen a lot of clients struggle trying to get
them up and running.  If they were as easy to install and configure as
What's Up or InterMapper they'd be unstoppable.