Linux at UMKC

Gerald Combs gerald at ethereal.com
Mon Mar 10 14:35:04 CST 2003

On 10 Mar 2003, david nicol wrote:

> On Sat, 2003-03-08 at 14:40, Gerald Combs wrote:
> >
> > Years ago, UMKC's news server was running on a DECstation 5000 with a pile
> > of external full-height 5-1/4" 1.2 GB disks, running Ultrix. It sat on my
> > desk and was noisy.  Sounds like the service quality hasn't changed much.
>
> I believe you are mistaken, THX-1187.  It was a DECstation 3000.
>
> That machine became known as "prairiedog.umkc.edu" and responsible for
> running a Java-based chat server when the fellow whose desk it sat on
> and myself were let go last April 1.

I'm talking about parsifal.umkc.edu.  It was a DECstation 5000 with a 20
or 25 MHz MIPS processor running Ultrix.  I remember it clearly, because
it the was the first Unix machine on which I had the root password.  For
all I know, it's still sitting in the closet at the end of the hall in the
basement of Cockefair.  Its successor was the 3000 with an Alpha processor
that you're thinking of.