Video Wall setup

Duane Attaway dattaway at dattaway.org
Fri Mar 7 23:26:40 CST 2003

On Fri, 7 Mar 2003, Brad Crotchett wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I am trying to set up a video wall at work out of 6 42 inch plasma
> screens.  We currently have a pc running windows (ugh) that is running

Have you considered using the xinerama feature in the latest version of
X11?

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Xinerama-HOWTO/

1. Introduction

Why do you need Xinerama ? And what is it ? The Xinerama extensions were
introduced to the XFree86 system in version 4.0. Xinerama is an extension
to XFree86 Release 6 Version 4.0 (X4.0) which allows applications and
window managers to use the two (or more) physical displays as one large
virtual display.

The beauty of the Xinerama extensions is that they are totally transparent
to user space. Previously, applications could only reside on one of the
displays and could not be moved between the two. Window managers had to be
specially written to support the two displays. With Xinerama, window
managers and applications don't have to be specially written to support
the larger "Virtual Desktop" which Xinerama creates.

Sounds like fun!

--
"It is the duty of a patriot to protect his country from its government"
-Thomas Paine