PPP localhost loopback issue dialing in to home

Duane Attaway dattaway at dattaway.org
Fri Mar 7 16:49:24 CST 2003

On Fri, 7 Mar 2003, Jon Moss wrote:

> I thought I was doing good.  Last week, I succeeded in configuring
> mgetty and autoppp on my home linux box.  I was able to dialin in from
> work from my linux workstation and from my WindowsXP laptop.  Both times
> I was assigned the correct IP address (192.168.0.5).
>
> I must have changed something at home because now the home linux box
> answers the phone, but will not establish a PPP connection.  If I dialin
> using minicom, I am prompted to login from localhost (127.0.0.1).  I
> can't ping to the network (192.168.0.1 is the DNS/DHCP server
> (unfortunately it's a WindowsXP computer); 192.168.0.2 is the linux
> computer).

This appears to be a common event relating to name services.  DHCP has a
facility for automatically setting this too.  This may be what you are
seeing.

/etc/hostname is the usual place for storing the hostname and the init
scripts run the "hostname" command to export it into the environment.

I would check to see if it has the name for the host you want.  I would
guess most dhcp scripts would try to resolve the hostname command with
your ISP's DNS and find its invalid and wipe out your old /etc/hostname
setting.  If I understand this to be the case, I would set an entry for
the IP address you wish to use in your /etc/hosts.

--
"It is the duty of a patriot to protect his country from its government"
-Thomas Paine