SendMail service

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Fri Mar 7 02:35:21 CST 2003

Quoting Seth Dimbert <s.dimbert at fhmr.com>:

> I have a server on my desk at home (right here next to me).
> Problem is that the machine does not run sendmail...

It would help to know what linux distribution you're running.  That way we can
tailor our answers to your system.

With some programs, you can define an SMTP server other than localhost to send
mail, but then the program has to know the SMTP protocol to talk with the
remote server.  It sounds like this is not the case, so you'll have to install
and run something like sendmail.  There are alternative mailers, you should
determine if you can use qmail or something other than sendmail.