OT: various off topic items

Tim Reid darkweb4 at gbronline.com
Wed Jun 25 22:30:58 CDT 2003

Hey guys,

I'm just going to rip the top off my head and skim the stuff on top off
and put it in this email, for there are many questions that I have for
you today.

First of all, I'm looking at maybe buying a used/refurbished IBM
thinkpad.  I'm thinking now that dropping $1000+ may be out of my range
for right now.  Brian D. has had lots of wonderful ideas for me, but I
would always like more ideas on this.  So,  what are some pitfalls to
look out for in buying older laptops?  What are some
noninvasive/nondestructive tests that I should (with the owner's
permission) run on a laptop to be sure that I want that particular one?

Does anyone have much experiance with UPS's for personal use?  What are
some good brands?  What are some good spec's to look for in
uninteruptible power supplies?  I've seen one/two HOWTO'S on using
personal UPS's with linux, but does anyone have any opinions on which
models are easier to interoperate with Linux/Windose?

Are there any audiophiles out there in LUG-land?  I'm looking for a
mid-line soundcard that is going to sound sweet, and work with MS and
Linux both.  Does anyone have any opinions on this as well.  (I think
that my second NIC is causing a lot of EM noise, and that is the main
problem with my integrated C-Media chipset)

Ok that's it, TIA for any and all your advice and arguments,

Tim

PS self-trepanning really 'urts, don't do it ;)