OT: Where to buy computer parts?....how to network...

Matt G linux at bizniche.com
Mon Jun 23 14:04:20 CDT 2003

Thanks for all the tips guys.  I was able to drive around and find all the
stuff I needed.  Actually...the first place I went had a magazine that
showed all the places you guys mentioned as well as parts/price lists.
So...it cut down on the driving time a bit.  I ended up winning a bet that
an old k6-233 still worked, and that it just needed a new ps, some ram, a
hdd and cd drive.  The hardest thing to find was a Serial Mouse.  I checked
compusa for a ps2-serial adapter...they wanted $20 for it.  Incredible.    I
ended up finding a used serial mouse that works great.

I was able to get RH9 setup and it seems to be working well.
http://mdg.homelinux.org/.  So, now my question is:...what about networking?

Here is the setup:
I have a Lynksys router doing nat etc.  It works just fine.  There are only
2 computers that are in the house.. the server and the desktop.  My wife
switches back and forth between linux and windows.  And on that desktop,
there are 2 big fat32 partitions that I've mounted in linux...so I can get
to my files from either boot.

How can I get to those partitions from the server?  I've been reading about
NFS and Samba.  Will either of those work for both boots?  That is...if I
ssh to my server from work...will I be able to get to the files on my
desktop in linux and/or windows?

If anyone can point me in the right direction so I can read up, I'd
appreciate it.

Thanks,
Matt