[mail] linux/windows partitioning on newer laptops

Wed Jun 18 16:24:47 CDT 2003

Rob Becker wrote:
> Unless things have changed drastically in the past few months, most
> restore disks give you very few options, but will pretty simply reload
> the entire originally installed OS and apps.  Usually those disks just
> blow away the entire disk and reload the factory image.  XP does take a
> hardware snapshot and require you to activate with it.  I am not sure if
> you will run into problems with reactivating if you need to rebuild your
> machine from the restore disk, but you may want to limit the number of
> times you do that.  Good luck with your build.  Let us know how things
> go for you.
> Thanks.
> Rob

More recent restore disks give you 2 or 3 options. One is a full restore
to the way the factory delivered.  Another is to do that, but without
remaking partitions.  The third is to just reload over existing
installation to recover missing files.  Sometimes only one of the last
two are options.
--
The mome rath isn't born that could outgrabe me.
		-- Nicol Williamson