linux/windows partitioning on newer laptops

Jason Munro jason at stdbev.com
Wed Jun 18 16:15:28 CDT 2003

On June 18, 10:34 am Tim Reid <darkweb4 at gbronline.com> wrote:
> hey guys,
> I'm thinking of getting a brand new Sony or Toshiba.  This is a major
> purchase for me, and beause of this I am trying to figure out several
> things.  The primary problem that I am obsesing about right now is this:
> If I choose to wipe windows XP, or dual boot with linux, and I just
> totaly screw something up...  How easy is it to "restore" the original
> OS to factory specs?  I remember the last time that I bought a brand
> name PC (emachine, and then at the same time, a compaq)  that the
> supplied "restore" disk, and as such the OS, was limited and didn't have
> all the drivers (the compaq didn't have files for setting up the OS for
> networking, for example).
>
> also, I have almost no personal experiance with win XP...  I've heard
> vague things about "activation" and such.  If I reinstall the original
> OS on a laptop, will I have to mess with such "activation"?
>
> What are your guys' learned opinions?

I have a new toshiba laptop (satellite 1.8 celeron) that came with xp and
resotore cds. It never got the chance to boot into xp however because I
wiped it and installed debian so I don't know about the activation issues.
I do know however that with a little work everything works (including
hardware 3d) with the exception of the winmodem.

HTH

 __ Jason Munro
  ___ sailfrog at users.sourceforge.net
   ____ http://hastymail.sourceforge.net/