Freesco & IPTables

Charles Steinkuehler charles at steinkuehler.net
Tue Jun 3 21:08:35 CDT 2003

Greg Kedrovsky wrote:
> Somebody posted something this morning about doing a router deal with
> either Freesco or IPCop.
>
> I got onto the IPCop site and did some poking around. Has anyone
> implemented these two, because I'm usure about a couple things. If you
> use one, can you give me some confirmation?
>
> 1. Freesco: does it still use ipchains instead of iptables? Googling
> turned up some b*tching among admins that had to service Freesco, and it
> was about ipfwadm (?).
>
> 2. IPCop: They boast on their web site that they now use iptables in
> v1.3.0 (I downloaded the iso). But, from what I understand, IPCop is not
> a "one-floppy" solution. It requires a hdd. Is that right? Or have I not
> read far enough?

Use bering:
http://www.leaf-project.org/mod.php?mod=userpage&menu=904&page_id=21

It's a single-floppy solution, with it's firewall rules based on
Shorewall, an excellent iptables based firewall rule generator:
http://www.shorewall.net

With minor tweaks for your network hardware, it should work "out of the
box" as a SOHO type NAT appliance/firewall.  If you need more, you can
do just about anything with shorewall.

--
Charles Steinkuehler
charles at steinkuehler.net