Recording problems

Brian Kelsay bkelsay at comcast.net
Mon Jun 2 03:25:50 CDT 2003

Glad you got it fixed.   Sometimes the "devil is in the details".   When you
post about problems like this people are usually going to ask questions like
I did about the programs you are using or the distro and version number.
If you think of it you might want to post those things with your original
msg. to save time getting an answer.  From what I've read in Linux Journal,
Alsa  (http://www.alsa-project.org/) is becoming the standard for sound
functionality and control in the kernel.  Hopefully that will reduce some
headaches in the future.

I had to replace my Linux firewall yesterday when the power supply failed.
I pulled the NICs and slapped them into another box and pulled the power to
the hard drive and cd since I don't use them and then booted to the Linux
floppy (Freesco).   I wasn't getting the internal interface 192.168.0.1 and
I wasn't getting an IP from the ISP.  I thought about it for a while and
remembered that I had to reserve an IRQ in the BIOS for the ISA NIC at IRQ
10.   Rebooted and all was back to normal.   That's about the fourth time in
a couple of years that the firewall has gone down and it was always due to a
power supply failure.  Eventually I'll run out of junk boxes, maybe.

Brian