paying for grad school (was Re: Getting a graduate degree)

J. Eric Gilliland patzeric at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 30 19:39:10 CST 2003

> Hm, someone once told me that if you have to pay to go to
> grad school, you probably shouldn't be going.

I certainly don't think this is true.  When did this person
tell you this?  Perhaps this was true years ago, when
federal pell grants were, you know, in existence, but not
now.  There are so many people attending graduate school
now, and so few paid positions that most people are going
to have to pay at least some.  This is certainly true in
fields that aren't in high demand.

Just my 200 lira,

Eric Gilliland

=====
J. Eric Gilliland
patzeric at yahoo.com

The archaeologist has a unique chance to determine empirically how preliterate cultures came to be
as they were.  His use of technical procedures in reaching an ever more finely drawn chronological
scale needs no apology; these are prerequisite to his determination of culture change through time,
a subject in which he should be able to work with unique authority.
-- G. W. Brainerd 1951