Gentoo Linux

Duane Attaway dattaway at dattaway.org
Sat Jan 25 09:55:06 CST 2003

On Fri, 24 Jan 2003, Adam J Bunton wrote:

> This is an simple question, I just haven't had time to research the
> answer and assumed somebody from the group would know.  My distro of
> choice is Gentoo.  I have a server running Gentoo and insteading of
> doing the tedious task of updating from their updated ISOs every couple
> of months I would rather just emerge -u world weekly to constantly
> update the system.  I wanted to know if this would keep the system as
> current as if I had reinstalled from their ISOs.

emerge rsync
emerge world

That's about bleeding edge as you can get.  It syncs up to the current
tree.  I have been doing this for about a year.

You might want to add the "-up" option when rebuilding the world to review
what will be done.  Sometimes package maintainers just have to include
every fancy whiz bang default option in their ebuild.

--
Why drive a car when you can ride a bike?
http://attaway.net                 http://counter.li.org   user #142150