Missouri Valley Room

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Fri Jan 24 16:02:12 CST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jared Smith" <jared at trios.org>

> We are in a position of asking the library for services which they
initially
> did not want to make available to "a buncha 'ackers," and a great
> burden rests on us to keep our technical expertise from being an
> obstacle to their generosity.

Oh, I understand our position.  Having worked in a public sector environment
(UMKC's library), I understand their situation as well.  People with
technical competence are highly suspect and are never allowed any authority,
power, or ability to make decisions.  If one were knowledgeable enough to
understand how to configure a DHCP range, one would never, ever, ever be
allowed to change settings on a server except by written order from a
supervisor.  Such a person would be watched like a hawk, and any deviance
from strictly prescribed activity (saying anything more than "hello" to a
librarian, for instance) would result in a written warning for
insubordination.

Needless to say, the likelihood of such a person staying there would be
extremely low if anybody else in town were hiring.  Which, I guess, is the
reason we have a chance for now.

Having used the KCPL computer system since they first made it available
though, it's always disappointing to confirm yet again that quality of
service is the furthest thing from their administrative hive mind.

(How to find a specific book using the KCPL on-line catalog, as taught at
the Plaza branch:
Enter subject keywords and locate any similar book's call number.  Go to the
shelves and locate that call number, then proceeded to search the shelves.
This is far more likely to yield the book you're looking for than trying to
actually locate it in the catalog.)