Disk Wipe Methods

KRFinch at dstsystems.com KRFinch at dstsystems.com
Tue Jan 21 17:39:34 CST 2003

Brian-

At the level that an electron microscope reads at, there is a great deal of
space between data tracks.  Reading erased data off was described to me as
being as easy as following a set of footprints on an empty beach.
Admittedly, you will really have to WANT to get the data off to go through
the trouble, but if it's worth millions to you, it could easily be worth
the trouble.  This has been brought up in this forum before; it's in the
archives.

Like I said before, if you have found an erasure method you are happy with,
go for it.  If keeping separate drives isn't worth it to you for whatever
reason, don't do it.  Do what you want to, it's your client.  Just please
don't ridicule me for recommending a way of securing your data when that is
precisely what you asked for.

Thanks!

- Kevin

                    "Brian Densmore"

                    <DensmoreB at ctbsonline.       To:     <kclug at kclug.org>

                    com>                         cc:

                    Sent by:                     Subject:     RE: Disk Wipe Methods

                    owner-kclug at marauder.i

                    lliana.net

                    01/21/2003 11:09 AM

I find it hard to believe that if a person wipes a disk, fills it with
random numbers and then wipes it again and wipes it with 1s and 0s that
any person could use an electron microscope to determine what was on the
system before other than the last set of numbers. I'd have to see an
example of this. And how many people are going to destroy a hard drive
to put it under an electron microscope to retrieve the data? assuming
they even have access to an electron microscope. Someone who is going
through this kind of trouble has already bugged your office and knows
all your data anyway. This is in the realm of super-mega-paranoia. lol.
Or falls into the realm of pseudo-science. Sounds reasonable until you
look at it under a microscope.

Brian