RH 7.2 Slow POP3 and IMAP

Charles Steinkuehler charles at steinkuehler.net
Tue Jan 21 00:45:19 CST 2003

admin at kclinux.net wrote:
> I just built a RH 7.2 box for a client.  Ran all the patches through
> up2date about a week ago.  Before the updates, the box ran fine with POP3
> and IMAP.  I setup IDENT at the same time afterwards, but didnt check
> POP/IMAP after that.  Then came the patches.  Now it's taking a while for
> the email to come through. It's connects, then waits for about 10 to 15
> seconds, and then dumps all the email down.  Is there a patch that could of
> screwed this up or something in IDENT that could of done this?

Check for any IDENT and/or DNS queries, typically fired off for logging
purposes whenever starting a new connection.  The 15 second delay makes
me think ident is the cuplrit.  Note that ident queries can be blocked
at either end by a firewall, so make sure you check both ends of the link.

Most services (and service spawners, like xinetd) have flags to
enable/disable logging remote IP, Ident, DNS lookup, etc on connection
startup.  Make sure only what you want is enabled for fastest response
times.

--
Charles Steinkuehler
charles at steinkuehler.net