Disk Wipe Methods

Gerald Combs gerald at ethereal.com
Mon Jan 20 22:08:20 CST 2003

Try "shred".  It's part of the GNU fileutils, and should be present on
your system.  You'll probably want to shred the entire device, e.g.

   shred /dev/hdc

You could also use alternating dd passes, provided you had an all-ones
source to go with /dev/zero.  /dev/urandom might do in a pinch.  I
wouldn't depend on shredding at the file level; the man page indicates
that file system behaviors may not produce the desired result.

If you're running OpenBSD, FreeBSD or NetBSD you can also use "rm -P",
apparently.