Disk Wipe Methods

Dustin Decker dustind at moon-lite.com
Mon Jan 20 21:13:49 CST 2003

Howdy all,
I have an intersting project on my plate at the day job.  Once in a blue
moon (prolly more like each full moon) we overnight a 30GB Iomega USB
drive to a client, they put a backup of their database on it (between 4
and 10 GB) and ship it back to us.

Eventually, the drive will be sent to another client.  We're dealing with
personally identifiable information in the health care mode here, so in
the interest of avoiding a HIPAA snaufu I'm quite serious about ensuring
that there aren't any traces of the previous clients' db on the drive when
it ships.  I've been making use of BCWipe on the Windows platform to
accomplish this to the DoD 5200.28 standard, but I'm interested in
throwing this on a Linux box to get it done as this is an extremely time
consuming process.  (Would prefer to start it on Linux and walk away.)

Any suggestions on utilities in the Linux world that can do this?
Dustin

--
| Dustin Decker                     |
| http://www.dustindecker.com | Even in evil, we discern rays of light  |
| Moon-Lite Computing         | and hope, and gradually come to see,    |
| 913.579.7117                | in suffering and temptation, proofs and |
*-----------------------------| instruments of the sublimest purposes   |
                              | of wisdom and love.                     |
                              |		-- William Ellery Channing      |