Linux sparc install errors

Gerald Combs gerald at ethereal.com
Sat Jan 18 16:40:45 CST 2003

The names sda5 and sda6 refer to different partitions on the same drive
(sda).  If sda is indeed your CD-ROM, you're going to have trouble
partitioning it and mounting any swap devices on it.  :)

Which device is your hard drive?  In your dmesg output, you should see
something like

SCSI device sda: hdwr sector= 512 bytes. Sectors= 17779500 [8681 MB] [8.7 GB]
SCSI device sdb: hdwr sector= 512 bytes. Sectors= 17779500 [8681 MB] [8.7 GB]

after the SCSI controller(s) is(are) detected.

BTW, you might want to check out the Aurora project:

    http://auroralinux.org/

They're creating a SPARC distribution based on Red Hat 7.3.  Red Hat
6.2 is a bit old, and I wouldn't be surprised if RH stopped releasing
updates for it (if they haven't already).

You might have better luck with a Linux distribution that still supports
SPARC.  NetBSD supports it as well.