reinstall help

Duane Attaway dattaway at dattaway.org
Sat Jan 18 14:09:27 CST 2003

On Sat, 18 Jan 2003, david at dacoto.com wrote:

> 1. I can not use epplets anymore, I type "E-Name.epplet $" in a termimal
> and it never displays on the screen but the process is running in top.

This sounds like a window manager issue displaying applications in non
visible locations.  These preferences may have been saved from the last
session and stored in a configuration file in that user's home directory,
under the .configuration file for that process or the window manager's
organized directory of popular applications.  Many X applications have a
"geometry" command line option to force where you want it.

to find what screen or terminal a process is using, us the "ps" command:

ps aux | grep <process_name>

If a question mark shows up in the seventh column for that process, it is
not attatched to a display.  A vc means virtual console, pts is something
you'd find like an xterm, and there are others.  If you are in X, you can
force the process to show up in the X session, window, or even computer on
the internet of your choice with the DISPLAY environment variable.  For
example, if you wanted xtop to show up on my laptop on my first X server
from your computer anywhere in the world:

export DISPLAY=satellite.dattaway.org:0

> 2. I set up 3 different email accounts in 3 different email clients and
> none of them are able to send, only receive. I checked and double
> checked the settings on everything and still nothing. So I have even
> went so far as to remove and recreate all the accounts on my other
> machine and have no problems at all, they work fine.

This sounds like a firewall issue.  Something seems to be blocking your
outbound port.  A much less likely possibility is the default sendmail
configuration files are not setup to send.

I remember redheat had its sendmail only listen to localhost connections
and many layers of interesting firewall rules on top of that, including
both iptables AND ipchains.  Mandrake may do something similar as it has
its roots from redhat.

> I have installed this version of Mandrake on several different machines
> and never had any problems. The machine I just installed it on has been
> running Mandy/win for 2 years now and this is the first time I have had
> problems.

Its always good to know something works at one point and know what to
expect.

> If no one has any ideas I guess I could start all over with the install
> and try again.

Ouch!  I'd prefer to troubleshoot it.

--
Why drive a car when you can ride a bike?
http://attaway.net                 http://counter.li.org   user #142150