So it begins..

Jared Smith jared at trios.org
Wed Jan 15 01:31:41 CST 2003

>Since you are accusing some people here of wrongdoing, I would say it
>is for you to show that Logitech 'intended' that no one get more than one
>of these, in spite of not bothering to enact trivial safeguards (like
>IP address tracking or cookies), and in spite of doing absolutely no
>checking on shipping addresses.  If one person here has recevied five
>of these things, it would seem that we have good evidence that Logitech
>cares not a whit how many a single person gets.

On a sense-based level, you are correct. My appeal to ethics was to
remove it to an abstracted principled level. By appealing to ethics, I
also shifted the burden of proof to you, since my plea was thus automatically
NOT accusing of wrongdoing but one of pleading for rightdoing. If it is not
intuitively obvious to you (imagine yourself as Logitech, for instance) then
I have no further witnesses, your honor. Case is rested.

-Jared