Apache Error Log

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Mon Jan 13 17:04:11 CST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Seth Dimbert" <s.dimbert at fhmr.com>

> I've got a box here in the house that runs a website for me... I'm
> experimenting and learning a lot. It's a terminal-only machine (No X) and
> use SSH to get into it.

> For an unknown reason, Apache keeps failing... It runs then stops. Where
> should I be looking for error logs? I can't find them!

> But, I've mis-stated the question. You see, Apache isn't the only thing
> failing. When the box hiccups, I can't attach via http, ftp or SSH!

> So, I have to reboot the box manually (like I just did). So, once it
> restarts, where do I look to determine the problem?

Oh, lots of places.  You didn't mention what package you were running, but
assuming RedHat 7.x:

less +G /var/log/messages
less +G /var/log/httpd/errors
less +G /var/log/httpd/access

Since you appear to be loosing your network connection, you should probably
try ifconfig to see why, or possibly netstat.