Firewalls and routers

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Sun Jan 12 17:18:13 CST 2003

Quoting Doug Bronson <doug at bronson-tate.com>:

> Hi all.
> I have a bit of a problem that I can't seem to over come.

> After giving up on my dial up connection, I bit the bullet, swallowed my
> pride and let Time Warner back on my property, with their broad band
> cable service.

> Here is what I'm trying to do:
> >From the cable modem a wired link will go to a D-Link router. Off the
> router will be three connections. One to a web server, one to a wireless
> access point and one to a linux box (proxy server). The linux box will
> then connect to the home LAN.

I think that the problem is that you have three networks here:  RoadRunner, the
private DNAT network inside the router, and the private DNAT network inside the
firewall.  This needs to be, for the network inside the Linux firewall to route
out through the DLink, it must be distinct from the DLink's internal network.

The problem may be that both the DLink and the Linux box are using the same
subnet - usually 192.168.0.x/24.  You need to tell both the DLink and the Linux
box A) to use different subnets, B) that the other subnet exists, and C) the
route to the internal, intermediate, and external nets.

Just guessing though.