kclug.org redesign

Dustin Decker dustind at moon-lite.com
Fri Jan 10 15:20:31 CST 2003

On Fri, 10 Jan 2003, Charles K. Lee II wrote:

> My current mockup is available at http://www.cold-sun.com/kclug.  I just
> wanted to know what you all thought of it.

I've not looked at it in Netscape, but what I see looks really nice to me.
It's not an incredibly significant departure from the present site either,
which I find quite tasteful.  (Not an alarming change, just plain old
"looks good".)

> Good? Bad? Should I continue the job and start integrating the content from
> the actual site?

I would suggest you do continue.  Getting feedback on the site with more
than "Even more content" in place would probably better guage user
experience.

Some folks made comments earlier about using something like a phpnuke,
postnuke, etc. type of system.  One suggestion I saw also mentioned it
might be a better idea to keep the current, with a link to a portal type
system such as those.  I've not paid my $0.0 membership dues this year, so
you can certainly ignore my suggestion, but I sort of like the second idea
- somewhat static front end (and what you've done looks pretty good to me)
with a link to portal stuff for the folks who will use it more
frequently...  which gets me to my next thought.

I put together a PostNuke powered site back in July of '02 - and posted
links to it to both the KCLUG and KULUA (kulua.org) mailing lists.  I've
seen very paltry use of it.  Part of this is probably because I don't post
anything there - but then again, I sort of expected that users would do
that.  I humbly re-offer the use of the site, since it's still sitting
there with 20 users on it.  It's at http://lugnuke.moon-lite.com

One of my higher hopes in throwing the site together last year was to
bring KULUA and KCLUG a little closer together, and perhaps more involved
with one another.  Honestly, I've gotten the impression over the past 12
months that KULUA is sort of imploding to a point.  We've gone through
slow moments without any activity before, but the present instance is
getting a bit long in the tooth.  I certainly don't have a problem with
making this a purely KCLUG sponsored/supported type thing.

Anyway - if there are any takers on this idea, I would have a request to
accompany it.  I'm not much of the graphics sort.  I love to look at 'em,
but I'm not an artist.  The site could certainly use a nice theme.  It
would be pretty neat I think if it mirrored in spirit the efforts Charles
has put forth on the site.  A second item here - if the thing is going to
be successful, I would be interested in, oh let's say five, people willing
to commit to some form of regular submission to get the thing off the
ground.  I know we're all busy most of the time (God knows I am) but I
think _I_ could come up with the time to add one item worth mentioning
once a day perhaps.  I'm going back to School this year to spend my GIBILL
$$$ before it becomes vapor, so I'd want to delegate administravia as
well.

Opinions?
/me wanders off for a cup of much needed coffee.
Dustin

--
| Dustin Decker                     |
| http://www.dustindecker.com |  Windows 95: n.                         |
| Moon-Lite Computing         |  32-bit extensions and a graphical      |
| 913.579.7117                |  shell for a 16-bit patch to an 8-bit   |
*-----------------------------|  operating system originally coded for  |
                              |  a 4-bit microprocessor, written by a   |
                              |  2-bit company that can't stand for     |
                              |  1 bit of competition.                  |