Redhat Linux 8.0 and getting modem to answer

Jared Smith jared at trios.org
Fri Jan 10 08:59:06 CST 2003

>Okay, I'm starting to become paranoid.  This is the second message in the last month to
>which I have received no reply whatsoever.  I double-checked the archive before sending
>this e-mail to make sure it was received and assumedly sent to the group.
>
>Have I done or said something to offend everyone on this list?

No. Some questions just don't get answered. Try again. I sent the previous e-mail
moments before reading this one, as I'm learning how to follow up on e-mails which
get no response. However, I will say that your question was framed in such a
manner that you seemed to want someone to do all the work for you. For
example, you said you had done some Internet research, and were wondering
whether to use minicom, seyon, and mgetty for Red Hat. That's kind of like
asking whether to use cotton or plastic swab Q-Tips to clean your ears. Does
it matter? Jump in and use one, and then ask a specific question about what's not
working. You'll find the questions which are answered are ones which are more
specific, and imply that you've actually encountered a problem, not simply
wondering whether to wear the red tie or the bergundy one today.

-Jared