kclug.org redesign

Bradley Miller bradmiller at dslonramp.com
Fri Jan 10 06:54:55 CST 2003

At 12:35 AM 1/10/03 -0600, you wrote:

>A couple months ago I started a little project to create a new design
>for the kclug.org web site.  I stopped after making a bit of progress and
>recently started it back up again.
>
>My current mockup is available at http://www.cold-sun.com/kclug.  I just
>wanted to know what you all thought of it.

Not bad, but it's horrid in Netscape 4.

>The page uses a rudimentary PHP based template system (include a header file
>at the top and a footer file at the bottom).  All the formatting is done
>with CSS.

Quite frankly, there are a ton of CMS/etc... systems that could be put up .
. . like Postnuke/etc...   I'd love to see more features, etc... but since
it's a volunteer type system on somewhat limited resources.  ???

>I made sure that the site looks nice and is easily navigable with a text
>based browser such as lynx.  However, due to it's poor CSS support, Netscape
>4 doesn't render the site nicely, but it's still usable (I plan on making it
>look better though).
>
>Good? Bad? Should I continue the job and start integrating the content from
>the actual site?

You'll have to take that up with the powers that be.  Personally I'd love
to see a site where local members and LUGs could interact.  I'd love to see
a bulletin board area (PHPBB for instance).  Lots of possibilities.

-- Bradley Miller