anyone upgraded mandrake 8.1 to 9.0?

Matt Luettgen matt at tccassociates.net
Thu Jan 9 23:49:22 CST 2003

rpmdrake is usually more broken than rpm/urpmi...to update your system
here is what I would do...first add online media for updates

http://plf.zarb.org/~nanardon/urpmiweb.php is a great tool for finding
ftp sites AND using the appropriate command...heres what I came up with

 urpmi.addmedia contrib
ftp://ftp.rutgers.edu/pub/mandrake/Mandrake/9.0/contrib/RPMS/ with
../../i586/Mandrake/base/hdlist2.cz

urpmi.addmedia plf ftp://plf.time4t.net/pub/plf/9.0 with hdlist.cz

urpmi.addmedia --update updates
ftp://ftp.rutgers.edu/pub/mandrake/Mandrake/updates/9.0/RPMS/ with
../base/hdlist.cz

Those 3 commands do different things...first one adds contrib second
adds plf (see website for what plf is) last one adds the update media.

Next you'll want to update all media, urpmi.update -a

Now to do the update do urpmi --auto-select it will churn away while it
compares packages and what have you, fetch the packages, install and
all should be well.

Good luck,

ML