anyone upgraded mandrake 8.1 to 9.0?

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Thu Jan 9 17:43:05 CST 2003

---- Original Message -----
From: "J. Eric Gilliland" <patzeric at yahoo.com>

> Has anyone here upgraded Mandrake 8.1 to 9.0?

I did.  Things went smoothly, but I haven't used it hardly at all.  The main
thing I've done is spend hours trying to get the stupid GUI RPM manager to
update packages for bug fixes and security problems.  It either can't find
the updates or can't find a necessary dependency, so I've pretty much given
up.

I poked around with some sound and video tools and was unimpressed - things
didn't work, wouldn't access most file types, etc.  One of the systems I
have it on has a USB camera, and while there were programs that offered to
import photos from digital cameras, they only offered serial interfaces.  I
tried to update them in hopes that that feature had been added, but the RPM
manager failed to find them again.

I run RedHat on the servers I manage, and have bought subscriptions to
up2date, which I find works very well.  The only complaint I have is that
RedHat is it's typical lazy self when it comes to updates - their RPMs are
often several months behind current releases, although they're pretty good
about getting security fixes out in a timely manner.