May or May not be off-topic...

Bill Cavalieri bcavalieri at gekl.net
Fri Jan 3 00:45:10 CST 2003

RR and most ISP's give you the bandwidth measured in kilo bits, and the
absolute maximum on a clear day, when the moon is in alignment with your
data line.

Depending on your cable line quality and signal strength, you could see
less bandwidth or more loss.

You are thinking of the bandwidth in kilo bytes, not in kilo bits.

You can always count on around 10% bandwidth loss, so of your 384 kbits,
you will really only see around 345 kbits.  Now divid the 384 kbits by
8, and you end up with around 43 kbytes/sec.

Getting 34 kb/sec upstream over inexpensive routers is not bad, your
realizing about 272 kbits.

-Bill

On Thu, 2003-01-02 at 17:01, Mick Ohrberg wrote:
> Dave,
>
> Thanks for your efforts. I still think that seems a little low... Or is that what you can expect?
I mean, the theoretical upstreams speed should be 384kbps, right?

--
Bill Cavalieri <bcavalieri at gekl.net>