Dual monitors, and VMware

Kendric Beachey ak at kc.rr.com
Wed Jan 1 15:32:18 CST 2003

No dual-monitor experience here, but I have successfully used VMware at work
for about a year and a half just to run MS LookOut and occasionally Office
and some of the SQL Server tools.  The VMware "machine" runs fast enough in
normal usage, but any time it has to swap something in or load something new
or (gasp!) get something from the LAN, it takes a good deal longer than a
real computer.

The rest of my box runs Mandrake 8.2 and generally runs like a champ no matter
what.  The box is a 933 MHz P3 with 384MB of RAM.  I believe I only allocate
64 or 128 MB to VMware.  I haven't really played with that value; it was the
default.

I don't know how this would relate to dual monitors, but I did discover by
chance that Ctrl+Alt+F8 takes me to a full screen of VMware, and Ctrl+Alt+F7
takes me back to my normal X desktop with VMware in a window.
--
Kendric