Dual monitors, and VMware

Bradley Miller bradmiller at dslonramp.com
Wed Jan 1 05:46:21 CST 2003

At 08:29 PM 12/31/02 -0600, Jonathan Hutchins wrote:

>> If I get a video card that will supports dual monitors
>> like a Ti 4200 or something, and Im running VMware
>> with Linux and Windoze, can I put the Windoze desktop
>> on one monitor and the Linux on the other?

If you got the Aldi's Medion PC like I did, you got the GForce TI 4200 with
128 Mb of memory and a super nice PC . . . and yes, VMWare runs on one
window (I setup to have my primary monitor) and then I have my regular
Windoze desktop on the other window.  The only thing is when you flip to
full-screen mode, the 2nd monitor is still showing the windows apps, but
you can't mouse beyond the primary monitor that is running VMWare.  I need
to adjust my screen sizes, but until I get my 19" monitor back in service
I'm forced to use a 15/17 combo.

>That sounds pretty cool, but wouldn't it be a lot more effective to have two
>boxes and a KVM?

After using a dual head system, I can honestly say that you need to chuck
the KVM and other goodies in the trash.  I have a KVM on my two server
boxes locally at my office but I'll be just using it in case I have a boot
problem.  I run TightVNC on the Windows box so I can just remotely
administer it, and the other box is my Linux server and gets SSH access.
Using Photoshop (ahem -- GIMP?) on a dual head system is the only way to
fly . . . tons of real estate for editing photos on one and the toolbars on
another.

-- Bradley Miller