Security Camera setup

L. Adrian Griffis adrian at nerds.org
Wed Aug 27 12:41:22 CDT 2003

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003, Jonathan Hutchins wrote:
> I have a friend who's getting unauthorized "visits" from her deadbat ex.  I'd
> like to set up a security camera that will capture the images of anybody who
> comes and goes when she's not home.  I know that there are PC Cameras and
> software packages that will use the camera as a motion detector and variously
> post images to a web page or at least start recording.  Is anyone familiar
> with these things?
>
> Is there a package that will do this in Linux, and if so, what hardware do I
> need?

I have another friend with exactly the same problem.  "Zoneminder" is
working quite well.  Take a look at

	http://www.zoneminder.com/

I'm toying with the idea of a filter enhancement to make it handle
things like the shadows of leaves on the ground, when the tree to
which they are attached sways in the wind.

It can use a wide array of webcams.

Adrian