Suggestions on best distro to install on this box.

Chris Wagner ismgr at atchisonkansas.net
Tue Aug 26 17:34:10 CDT 2003

Duane Attaway wrote:

>On Tue, 26 Aug 2003, Chris Wagner wrote:
>

>>Right now we have a Win2K box that I am considering installing Linux on
>>(actually not considering - is a done deal, just need suggestions), but
>>I'm not sure which distro might be the best for the need.
>>

>Mandrake is good.  It installs easy and just works.  I like Suse as well.
>But redhat seemed funny when trying to update and install applications.
>But for the ease of installing and using diverse multimedia applications,
>I found there is no match for gentoo.
>
>Is gentoo stable?  I think so:
>
>http://uptime.netcraft.net/up/graph?site=coyote.dattaway.org

Well, I've had several takers on Mandrake, which I'm actually fairly
familiar with since I used to run it on my machine here at work before
Yellow Dog.

One quick question: Does Mandrake offer an update mechanism that would
allow me to "update" the entire system to a more recent build, or am I
better off finding someone who has 9 and seeking a copy?

Thanks!

Chris