MS Worm caused blackout?

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Mon Aug 25 21:22:33 CDT 2003

According to Robert X. Cringely from Info World, the recent MS Blaster worm
may have actually been responsible for the Great Blackout of Ought Three.
Cringe writes "The FBI and CERT pooh-pooh the theory, but some aren't
convinced. Many plants on the grid run a Windows-based SCADA (Supervisory
Control and Data Acquisition) system that receives remote commands through
the same RPC (Remote Procedure Call) protocol exploited by MSBlaster. Among
other things, SCADA systems control the amount of energy each plant produces.
I talked with one plant insider who says the worm theory is possible but not
likely. "It would have to be a major breakdown in the plant's software
protection scheme," he said. A more likely sabotage scenario? An inside job
by a techie ticked off at his employers. So far nobody knows the real cause,
but if Oliver Stone is reading this, I'll sell the movie rights for a Linux
notebook and 5 percent of the gross."