OT Sun hardware question

Kurt kessler2k at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 24 02:31:59 CDT 2003

--- Brian Kelsay <bkelsay at comcast.net> wrote:
> > Rob
> I believe if it has a 15-pin connector like the VGA
> connector on your PC
> it will take a standard SVGA monitor or a multisync
> monitor.  If it has
> a connector that is wide and possibly 25-pin, close
> to a parallel port
> connector then you have to have a SUN monitor or a
> scan convertor box.
> The scan convertor boxes take SVGA on one side and
> have  a short cable
> coming out the other and I think they take a power
> cable if I remember
> right.  I have had to hook up some of these at
> Sprint and another job
> and it varies from machine to machine.  I don't
> think you will blow out
> a standard monitor by trying it if the plug is the
> 15-pin type.  Someone
> correct me if I am wrong.
>
> Brian

The older sun connector is a 13w3. There are
inexspensive adaptor cables that change the gender to
vga. I have not seen one of those boxes you are
talking about. Unless it also converts the sun
keyboard and mouse connectors to ps/2. I have seen one
of those at Chris Bodenheimer's house. Though I cant
remember if it also converted the video to vga.

Kurt