OT Sun hardware question

Brian Kelsay bkelsay at comcast.net
Sun Aug 24 00:17:39 CDT 2003

Rob Becker wrote:

> I just got a Sun Sparcstation 5.  I need to find a monitor that will
> work with it.  Does anyone out there have a working Sun monitor that
> you'd be willing to part with, or know of anywhere in town that might
> have one for a reasonable price?  Does this box need a special monitor,
> or can it work with any multisync and the proper cable?  If it's just a
> matter of needing a cable, where might I find one?  Any help
> appreciated.
> Thanks.
> Rob
I believe if it has a 15-pin connector like the VGA connector on your PC
it will take a standard SVGA monitor or a multisync monitor.  If it has
a connector that is wide and possibly 25-pin, close to a parallel port
connector then you have to have a SUN monitor or a scan convertor box.
The scan convertor boxes take SVGA on one side and have  a short cable
coming out the other and I think they take a power cable if I remember
right.  I have had to hook up some of these at Sprint and another job
and it varies from machine to machine.  I don't think you will blow out
a standard monitor by trying it if the plug is the 15-pin type.  Someone
correct me if I am wrong.

Brian

--
A Computer without Microsoft is like a chocolate cake without mustard.
-as seen on IRC