File Association problem in KDE

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at opus1.com
Sat Aug 23 16:47:48 CDT 2003

Somehow, KWrite has grabbed the file associations for HTML files.  I can't
browse directly to web pages or use bookmarks unless they point to php files
or somethng.  anything .htm or .html attempts to launch in KWrite, which
fails because of the non-local file.

This seems related to my attempting to specify gvim to edit such files, but I
can't find any setting that indicates gvim or kwrite.  I've tried to set the
file associations both from within Konqueror and within the KDE Control
Panel.  Although niether gvim nor KWrite are mentioned, I did manage to get
it to use KWrite instead of gvim (not a desired result).

This is frankly as bad as any Windows screw-up - no idea where the setting
changed, it changed spontaneously and it won't change back.  I'd rather not
delete my entire home directory, thank you.

Help!