Ghosting with Linux

Dustin Decker dustind at moon-lite.com
Wed Aug 20 18:15:33 CDT 2003

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003, Jason Clinton wrote:

> Our network administrator has been trying to Ghost our Windows 2k box for a week to no avail.
> I'm getting impatient and would like to move on with our lives. I am thinking that something
> like this from a Linux on CD distro should do the trick:
>
>  # dd bs=1024 if=/dev/hda1 > ssh -2C -l [user] [ip of a linux box
> with 10GB free] "tar -cj /var/server-backup.tar.bz2"

What version of Ghost are you using?  I've found that when working with
NTFS it's a good idea to add the "-NTIL" flag to the command.  This
ignores some of the logging on NTFS, which can often cause it to bomb.

Dustin

--
| Dustin Decker - CNA, MCP          |
| dustin at dustindecker.com       o-------------------------------------o
| Network Engineer              | "Youth -- not a time of life but a  |
| Preferred Physicians Group    |  state of mind... a predominance of |
o-------------------------------|  courage over timidity, of the      |
                                |  appetite for adventure over the    |
                                |  love of ease."                     |
				|  -- Robert F. Kennedy               |