Without getting flamed, can someone answer me a question?

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Fri Aug 15 14:36:21 CDT 2003

[IIRC]

Unix was created by AT&T. All of those versions prior to
Unix system V release 4 are now public domain. In fact there are several
places where they can still be downloaded.

Unix system V release 4 (and beyond) is the version of Unix that SCO now
owns some rights to. Novell still owns the Unix IP though.

U. of Ca @ Berkeley has a separate Unix (BSD Unix),
not derived from Unix system V release 4. FreeBSD is based on that.
FreeBSD and UCB have won the court fight stating that it is free of
the claims of Unix system V release 4. In fact Sys V R 4 has infringing
BSD code in it. Something that UCB could force to be removed.
[/IIRC]

[my understanding of it in a nutshell]
SCO can't demand license fees from Linux users even if they win the case.
They can demand of the distribution companies copyright infringement fees.
Linux users are immune, it is copyright infringement, but they are trying
to call it something else. They are also trying to claim that Unix "techniques"
were incorporated in Linux. So what, nothing can prevent others from using
techniques that have been common knowledge for decades. They also are trying
to claim trade secret infringement. But they have nothing there either.
All of the claims they are making is without foundation.