Could use some help/suggestions.

ismgr ismgr at atchisonkansas.net
Thu Aug 14 16:44:22 CDT 2003

ismgr wrote:

> Brian Kelsay wrote:
>
>> ismgr wrote:
>>
>>> I need to come up with a decent POP server that is relatively
>>> painless to implement (if one exists) on a Yellow Dog 3.0 install.
>>>
>>> Please keep in mind that you're responding to someone who hasn't
>>> done it before for the most part.   :-)
>>>
>>> I would like to use a combo of Postfix and the POP, along with
>>> Procmail to do some more serious low-level filtering of mail that
>>> comes in.
>>>
>>> Can some of you comment on how you have your mail servers setup and
>>> what methods you use to strip attachments?
>>>
>>> I have worked a little before on .procmailrc (I think that was the
>>> name of the file), but it's been awhile.
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> Chris

STATUS UPDATE:

After working on it for about a solid hour to hour and a half, QPopper
is running on this machine and it is answering, but I don't know if my
issue is clearly with the Postfix config and the mail spool directory
setting or what.

Relaying outside our network works fine as far as I can tell, but then
again, I don't know anything about configuring Postfix except what I
read in the the conf file.

I guess in my head I'm having trouble figuring out the best way to
troubleshoot the issue. I checked the /var/log/maillog and can see the
entries that popper is making to check the mailbox, but popper isn't
grabbing anything in the mailbox, no matter what the
mail_spool_directory is set to in the Postfix config.

Does anyone know what the default mail_spool_directory is that Qpopper
points to check for mail?

Also, is there anything in particular that I have to do to have Postfix
dump the contents of its connection into a particular directory.

 From the docs I've read, the mail that is received from the MTA is
dumped into one of two directories by default:

/var/mail/user

or

/var/spool/mail/user

Thing that I can't figure out is why the maillog says that it's
receiving information from other machines and Qpopper is operating when
it is contacted, but I somewhere in the middle of this have something
not totally configured right.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks, all.

Chris