Bash question

Jason Clinton me at jasonclinton.com
Wed Aug 13 18:09:50 CDT 2003

Jason Clinton wrote:

> I stumbled on to the ability to hit page up or down after the first
> few characters of a command to jump back and forth between
> |.bash_history| entries that match. All my other linux boxen have not
> change, however, on my desktop system, suddenly, PGUP and PGDN jump to
> the beginning and end of the |.bash_history| file, respectively.

Figured it out: the answer lied in the |readline| man page. Readline is
responsible for handling the input and output at the bash command
prompt. There is a file at /etc/inputrc that controls system wide
command key maps. I changed from the commented lines to the lines below
them:

# "e[5~": beginning-of-history
# "e[6~": end-of-history
"e[5~": history-search-backward
"e[6~": history-search-forward

Apparently, a recent Gentoo update changed this file. If someone knows
of some other neat related bash shortcuts, please /pipe/ up. (Ha! I kill
me! I'll be here all week...)

/--
Just my three trits. GPG Finger Print:
7A81 0A2F 1ABE DC38 DABC  7C22 B2EE 2304 4A89 46BF/