Question about Novell

Brian Kelsay bkelsay at comcast.net
Wed Aug 13 02:51:50 CDT 2003

Rick Meeker wrote:

> Are you using the Netware client to login, or are you trying to login
> through the standard Windows login?

On the Windows side I just went to the Network Neighborhood and double
clicked then looked at Computers near me(using Windows 2000).  Double
clicked on the Netware server name and tried both admin w/ the correct
password and admin.support.ripcrd.org with the same password and neither
work.  My next step will be to load the netware client on the windows
box.  That is probably the problem.  On the server install I did install
the windows services and the NFS services, so I didn't think I would
need the netware client just to connect.  Maybe because I am trying to
connect as admin.

They don't let you create any regular users at install time like Linux.
  I don't know how many people here have checked out Netware or use it
on  a regular basis, but it has some striking similarities to Linux.  If
the OpenLDAP guys got their stuff simplified a little there wouldn't be
much need for Netware at all.  The NDS stuff from what I've read uses
the X.500 protocol, which is LDAP, and they just have a neat little GUI
tool for administration.  If I can get it to work, I'm going to learn
some more about LDAP from it before I install OpenLDAP on Linux.  From
having worked w/ Active Directory on Windows 2000 I see a LOT of
similarities between it and NDS (AD also uses the X.500 protocol).  I'm
just rambling here, but maybe this will make sense to all of you.
Netware has a GUI that can load at boot time (or can be turned off) and
it is an accelerated X server.  I think the screen said Xi graphics, but
it went by real fast.  Like under Linux, but unlike Windows, you can
restart the X server if it gets fubared.  One more thing, the GUI for
NDS admin is a program run in a JVM, so that would make it easily
portable to other systems.  Why it was easy to port to Linux.

--
A Computer without Microsoft is like a chocolate cake without mustard.
-as seen on IRC