Fonts.

Chris Wagner ismgr at atchisonkansas.net
Mon Aug 11 01:03:40 CDT 2003

Jason Clinton wrote:

> Chris Wagner wrote:
>
>> Where would you suggest I get more of them?
>

> Bitstream Vera family of fonts. Most distro's have packages for them
> -- you can also google for the tarball.

Just FYI -

In Yellow Dog 3.0, I was messing around aimlessly trying to get new
fonts to be recognized by xfs since the other alternatives I checked out
wouldn't work, and came across the /etc/fonts/ directory.

Inside that directory was a file called fonts.conf that had HTML-type
tags that listed the directories to look in for fonts that looked
something like this (the tags):

<dir>/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1</dir>

So I just added a line as a duplicate but changed the path to the TTF
directory instead of the Type1 directory and rebooted the machine.

It hung for a bit, I think likely because I added quite a list of fonts,
but when I got into KDE and started messing around in a new KWord doc,
it worked just fine.

I could select any font that I had added as well as the others already
installed.

Didn't know if that was the "orthodox" way of doing it, but it worked.

Take care.

Chris