Mandrake MNF

Brian Kelsay bkelsay at comcast.net
Sun Aug 10 00:52:53 CDT 2003

Jonathan Hutchins wrote:

> On Friday 08 August 2003 5:59 pm, Brian Kelsay wrote:
>

>>Mandrake is famous for the hidden (non-standard) config files.
>

> Actually, in my experience running Mandrake for several years, over several
> new installations, the standard config files are either where they are
> expected to be, or are easily found using 'locate'.  I haven't had any
> problems using them, but I rarely rely on the GUI "Wizards".  If I wanted
> Wizards I'd go with Windows - they do 'em better.

Probably because you didn't even install the wizards you had no problem.
  I was on the Mandrake newbie list for about a year, learning and
helping people and this came up frequently.  They may have fixed it, I
don't know.

> What is it with you guys running pre-packaged firewalls anyway?  I thought the
> whole Linux spirit was to customise the rules yourself.  I've never found one
> of these pacages that was any closer to what I wanted than a raw installation
> that I could set the chains on myself.

It's hard to be sure you got your ipchains or iptables right the first
go around.  Rather than have my boxen become cracker heaven and due to
lack of time I go w/ a pre-packaged solution and add my specifics to it
later as I learn more.  I was happy w/ freesco for almost 2 years and
then the latest version started spewing DNS errors to the logs and
various other craziness.  I had my ipchains all set, but I dropped it
and moved to IPCop and haven't regretted it.  It has Red Hat 7.3 as the
base distro and I can figure more stuff out.  Freesco used loadlin and
was made to fit on a floppy, so lots of stuff was missing that I was
used to.

--
A Computer without Microsoft is like a chocolate cake without mustard.
-as seen on IRC