Gentoo help please!!!

Brian Kelsay bkelsay at comcast.net
Sat Aug 9 02:13:46 CDT 2003

everythingPC wrote:

> I am/was attempting to do a stage 1 install and when I get to the
> make.conf file I have problems. I am following the documentation from
> Gentoo for the x86 and it sayes very little as far as what you "NEED" to
> do here. I Know there are probably lots of things that could be
> optimized here. In the actual file "make.conf" only one line is
> uncommented. Is it supposed to stay like that? I went and uncommented
> all lines that looked like commands and set paths. Also I have an AMD XP
> processor so as the Gentoo docs say to specify "-march=athlon-xp" BUT in
> the make file it also has as an example after that "-03 pipe"
>
> Maybe I should just go with a stage 2 or 3 .
>
> Please help
>
> Adrian

As I recall from my attempt, the -O3 (that is a big ohh and a three), is
a flag for GCC that basically says to make all optimizations (try all)
for each compiled program.  I had to read through the man page for gcc
on another pc to find that out.  So, you only need to add other stuff if
-O3 doesn't work for some reason.  You might check to see if gcc has had
any problems w/ the Athlon-XP in full opt. mode.

Brian

--
A Computer without Microsoft is like a chocolate cake without mustard.
-as seen on IRC