Xbox Mod Chip...

Matt G linux at bizniche.com
Mon Aug 4 14:07:19 CDT 2003

Hey Guys...just thought I'd bring this up.

I've never been interested in putting a mod chip in my Xbox, until I saw
some of the new solderless chips.  I bought one and installed it, and a
linux based bios in about 30 minutes.  It even comes with a external switch
so you can disable the chip, load from bios bank1, or bios bank2, or
unprotect it for future re-flashing.  When I disable the chip, it boots like
a normal xbox.

Now, I didn't install Linux, but it's getting easier and easier.  You can
even add a few regular usb ports on there pretty easily.

After a bit of tweaking, I was able to install a 120gb Hard drive, and as
able to ftp and telnet into the xbox.  Pretty cool.

You could totally use one of these for a little linux box.  And the prices
are dropping.  You could guy an xbox for $170 and a chip for $50 and get
linux going pretty quick.

I don't know who's coming up with this stuff...but it's pretty amazing if
you ask me.

Matt