Work In KC Area?

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Mon Aug 4 12:11:50 CDT 2003

On Sunday 03 August 2003 3:34 am, Steven Elling wrote:

> The reason I am no longer with Sprint is because an old manager gave me a 5
> on a link --- which I did not deserve and no one else on my team thought I
> deserved --- plus he painted a bad picture of my abilities, attitude and
> work to the new manager and upper level management that took over when
> several departments merged.  The manager I had when I left Sprint stated he
> did not agree with upper managements decision and wanted to keep me.

A lot of these kids have just never had anything turn on them like that.
There's nothing you can do about it either - even trying to explain it just
makes you look like a whiner.  I've been caught out in office politics more
than once myself.

One thing that often happens to operations staff is absentee management.  Your
"supervisor" is either on another shift or at another site, or both.  By the
time you find out there's a problem, nothing you can do or say sounds like
anything but a lame excuse, so you take the sucker punch every time.

It sounds like there's a confirmation of a rumor I'd heard in late Spring -
some areas are hiring back, but they can really pick and choose.  Either
they're picking bright stars with golden records, or fresh kids that can be
abused.  Those of us with some real experience, including how to survive a
few failures, are still out in the cold.