Work In KC Area?

Steven Elling ellings at kcnet.com
Sun Aug 3 04:05:12 CDT 2003

On Saturday 02 August 2003 16:41, admin at kclinux.net wrote:
> That's funny.  Sprint's been hiring employees back right and left.
> Matter of fact, all positions are being matched up with previous
> employees before going public.  And when it does go public, Sprint is
> going to contracting companies and hiring after 3 - 6 months.

I haven't seen or heard of any.  I can tell you what Sprint is doing.  Now
Sprint is eliminating positions and requiring employees to take a paycut
with a lower grade position (may not be in their profession) or be laid-off
with little or no severens.

> Plus, when Sprint merged all 3 divisions in 1 after the
> telecommunications act expired, there was a lot of extra baggage on
> hand.  What you did at Sprint, there's probably 3/1 to 4/1 ratio of
> people laid off at the same time.  Your # just hasn't came up yet. Now
> they're merging departments together.  Rumor has it the 2330 Shawnee
> Mission Parkway (old world headquarters) has been sold, along with
> KCMart, and moving everyone to the Campus and merging more departments
> together.

Before the sh*t hit the fan, Sprint had a lot of duplication of effort.  The
group I was a part of merged with 11 (or 12) other groups doing the exact
or similar functions.

I don't know that Sprint ever owned KCMart but I know everyone in KCMart is
moving to the campus and Sprint is vacating the building.  It is supposed
to happen within the next couple of weeks (?).  I'm on a team of
contractors that is responsible for deinstalling and installing Sprint's PC
equipment.

> Development / administration IT jobs are being offshored or in the
> planning stages to India.  (Thanks Mike Stout.) But, they're just
> jumping on the bandwagon, this has been going strong for 3 years now
> with the Fortune 500 companies.

Don't get me started on the off-shore thing.