Sendmail or not sendmail

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Sat Aug 2 15:39:11 CDT 2003

On Friday 01 August 2003 3:27 am, mike neuliep wrote:

> really don't want to totally relearn an MTA after I've invested so much
> into sendmail after all these years.

Looking at that statement, and considering how true it is of most competent
linux administrators - ie that they know sendmail pretty well and can run it
reliably in their sleep, given that this implies that documentation, help
files, auxilliary programs and functions and _their_ documentation and
helpfiles are all going to have a preponderance of not just information, but
well informed, thought-out, debugged information on sendmail, and I think
you've answered your question.

"Yeah, the kid can manage qmail, but not many people can, and if you loose the
kid you could be in trouble."

I think I saw one link to a performance review go by in this otherwise wildly
flaming thread.  You're going to have to search on-line for things like that,
possibly talk with someone from one of the big providers like IBM to get any
calm, unpolitical performance analysis comparing sendmail to it's
competitors.

Admittedly, sheer momentum is the reason most systems run sendmail, not any
technical superiority, but the fact remains that most do.